APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 23, 2015
Dawn Upshaw, soprano, Head of Vocal Arts
Stephanie Blythe, mezzo-soprano
Kenneth Griffiths, vocal coach
Kayo Iwama, vocal coach
Lucy Shelton, soprano
Alan Smith, vocal coach
Sanford Sylvan, baritone
Howard Watkins, vocal coach
"The summer I spent at Tanglewood was probably the most important and productive of my student years. The incredible beauty of the setting, being exposed to such a rich and diverse range of music making, the quality of instruction, the level of accomplishment among my peers…all these things provided constant inspiration." --Dawn Upshaw, Vocal Fellow 1983
It is the mission of the Vocal Arts
Program to provide its Fellows a diverse set of experiences within
the vocal repertoire.
Projected projects for 2016 include:
The study of contemporary works is an integral part of the music program at Tanglewood. There will be additional opportunities through assignments for solo and chamber performances in this area. All Fellows will take part in weekly master-classes with Sanford Sylvan, and in master-classes with resident faculty including Stephanie Blythe, Kayo Iwama, Alan Smith, Dawn Upshaw, and Howard Watkins, as well as major artists visiting the Boston Symphony.
The Vocal Arts Program Application and Audition Process
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 16, 2015
All applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center must submit an application, including a $75 application fee, via www.Acceptd.com.
Applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center Vocal Arts Program must be between 20 and 35 years old as of June 1, 2016.
As part of completing the application, singers will be required to submit:
Audio samples consisting of ONLY the following two selections, which must be in contrasting styles:
1) An art song (performed with
2) An aria (performed with piano or orchestra)
Supporting Materials, consisting of the following:
1) Current resume
2) Letter of recommendation from a professional musician other than one's current teacher
3) Fully detailed and complete repertoire list (not a generalized or representative one) that includes all works studied, indicating with an asterisk those works performed in public
4) Audio recording details, indicating titles and composers of the works performed, and date and circumstances of performance (studio recording, live performance recording, name of accompanist or accompanying ensemble if appropriate, etc.)
Results of the preliminary round will be emailed to applicants by October 31, 2015. Based on the recommendations of our faculty, live auditions will be scheduled for qualified applicants. The applicant will indicate preferred audition dates, times, and locations on his or her initial application. If invited to the live round, the TMC will contact you via email to schedule your audition as soon as possible.
Live Audition Dates and Locations:
Los Angeles: November 14, 2015
Chicago: November 16, 2015
Cincinnati: November 17, 2015
New York City: November 18, 19, & 20, 2015
Boston: November 21, 2015
Live Audition Repertoire & Requirements:
Singerssinging in the live round should present a total of FIVE selections: art songs in three different languages and two arias in two different languages; at least one aria and one art song must be in English. A contemporary work is required as one of the selections. A pianist is provided at the audition, although singers may bring their own if they wish.
Required Supporting Materials at Live Auditions:
1) An updated resume
2) A typed list of audition repertoire presented
3) A letter of recommendation from a professional musician other than one's current teacher (this can either be a copy of the recommendation letter you already submitted, or a new letter.
4) A fully detailed and complete repertoire list (not a generalized or representative one) that includes all works studied, indicating with an asterisk those works performed in public
Singers must have the required repertoire and supporting materials prepared for the audition. The audition panel reserves the right to refuse to hear an audition if all of these conditions are not met; no refunds will be given.Apply Online Now