The Boston Symphony Children's Choir (BSCC)
About the Boston Symphony Children's Choir (BSCC)
Is your child musical? Do they sing around the house endlessly? The BSO would like to hear them!
The Boston Symphony Children’s Choir is recruiting new members this September.
BSCC members participate in instructive and fun rehearsals with BSO Choral Director James Burton, and they take part in choral performances together with the BSO and the Boston Pops both at Symphony Hall and the Tanglewood Festival.
After holding auditions for nearly 200 children in the fall of 2017, sixty-five singers grades 5-9 were selected by BSO Choral Director James Burton to take part in the BSO’s January 2018 performances of Mahler’s Symphony No. 3. These concerts featured the BSO, Women of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and the Mahler 3 Children’s Choir under the baton of Maestro Andris Nelsons. Following the success of that project, the Boston Symphony Children’s Choir (BSCC) was officially announced as a permanent ensemble of the BSO.
The choir gave its first official performance in summer 2018, joining the BSO, the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and Maestro Andris Nelsons for a staged production of Puccini’s La Bohème at Tanglewood. The choir performed Mahler’s 3rd Symphony with the BSO at Tanglewood later in the summer, and gave its own solo performance as part of the Tanglewood Summer Sundays concert series. In the 2019 Tanglewood season, the BSCC premiered Burton’s The Lost Words for children’s choir, which was co-commissioned by the BSO and the Hallé Orchestra of Manchester, England.
“My daughter has been inspired and changed by this musical experience! She was simply in awe of the wonderfully creative atmosphere that was established for the kids by Mr. Burton. After each rehearsal she was enthusiastic and full of curiosity about the choral art form” - BSCC Parent, 2018
Upcoming BSCC Highlights
- The Fenway Alliance, Opening Our Doors 2019
- 2019 Holiday Pops Kids Matinees
- Duruflé Requiem
- Stravinsky Perséphone
Past BSCC Highlights
- 2018 BSO Symphony Gala
- Puccini’s Suor Angelica
- The Lost Words World Premiere, 2019 Tanglewood on Parade
- Boys and girls grades 5-9 will be considered for BSCC membership
- All boys must have unchanged treble voices
- There is no cost to being a member of the BSCC
September 2019 BSCC Audition Times
- All September 2019 auditionees are strongly encouraged to attend our BSCC Open Rehearsal for Auditionees. This will allow auditionees to get a sense of what a BSCC rehearsal is like, and if it might be a good fit for the singer.
- BSCC Open Rehearsal for Auditionees: Saturday, September 7 from 10am – 12pm
- Audition rounds will take place on the following dates and times. Each auditionee will be assigned a 5 minute slot during one of these times:
- Monday, September 9th | 4pm to 9pm
- Wednesday, September 11th | 4pm to 9pm
Auditioning for the BSCC
Please fill out the form LINKED HERE to request an audition time on September 9th or September 11th by no later than Monday, September 2nd.
- Audition time confirmations will be sent by no later than Thursday, September 5th. We will accommodate as many auditionees as space and time permits.
- Auditions will be held at Symphony Hall in the Chorus Room and last approximately 5 minutes.
- All auditionees are strongly encouraged to attend the BSCC Open Rehearsal for Auditionees on Saturday, September 7, from 10am – 12pm.
- For the audition, singers are asked first to sing a song they know well. This can be something with accompaniment (a pianist will be provided), or sung unaccompanied. It should last no longer than 2 minutes, but shorter than that is OK too. The music should be something the candidate is comfortable singing, and shows their voice at its best.
- After the song, auditionees will be asked to do some simple ear training tests (pitch matching etc), vocal range exercises, and also some simple sight reading.
BSCC Attendance Expectations
- Linked here is the BSCC Fall 2019 calendar.
- Members accepted in the September 2019 Audition cycle would be expected to participate in the 2019 Holiday Pops Season.
- If able, they would also be encouraged to join us for the Fenway Alliance’s Opening Our Doors Event rehearsals and performance, 10/14 at Symphony Hall (more info linked above under “Upcoming BSCC Highlights”).
- BSCC rehearsal and performance schedules are created per concert/event, and so there is no regular, standing rehearsal time. BSCC members are not committed to singing in a particular concert or event until that schedule has been shared and they’ve expressed availability to do so. Likewise, Choral Director James Burton reserves the right to roster or not roster any BSCC singers for any given concert or event.
- The BSO expects that BSCC members make membership of the choir a priority, and therefore attend the rehearsals and performances in full that they express availability for. The BSO also accepts that young people and their families have busy lives, and that calendar conflicts are sometimes inevitable. Upon acceptance into the choir, absences or changes to stated availability must be communicated to the BSO Chorus Management team and agreed upon in advance. If there are any last-minute problems, parents are asked to communicate with our team as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.