The Boston Symphony Children's Choir (BSCC)
About the Boston Symphony Children's Choir (BSCC)
Is your child musical? Do they sing around the house endlessly? The BSO would like to hear them!
BSCC members participate in instructive and fun rehearsals with BSO Choral Director James Burton, and they take part in choral performances together with the BSO and the Boston Pops both at Symphony Hall and the Tanglewood Festival.
The choir gave its first official performance in summer 2018, joining the BSO, the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and Maestro Andris Nelsons for a staged production of Puccini's La Bohème at Tanglewood. The choir performed Mahler's 3rd Symphony with the BSO at Tanglewood later in the summer, and gave its own solo performance as part of the Tanglewood Summer Sundays concert series. The BSCC will give its Boston Pops debut this coming winter in the famous Holiday Pops concerts at Symphony Hall. The choir's busy schedule this coming season also includes a performance in the BSO's opening night gala, and the choir will join an international cast of soloists for performances of Puccini's Suor Angelica.
After holding auditions for nearly 200 children in the fall of 2017, sixty-five singers grades 5-9 were selected by BSO Choral Director James Burton to take part in the BSO's January 2018 performances of Mahler's Symphony No. 3. These concerts featured the BSO, Women of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and the Mahler 3 Children's Choir under the baton of Maestro Andris Nelsons. Following the success of that project, the Boston Symphony Children's Choir (BSCC) was officially announced as a permanent ensemble of the BSO.
"My daughter has been inspired and changed by this musical experience! She was simply in awe of the wonderfully creative atmosphere that was established for the kids by Mr. Burton. After each rehearsal she was enthusiastic and full of curiosity about the choral art form"
- BSCC Parent, 2018
Upcoming BSCC Highlights
- 2018 BSO Symphony Gala
- 2018 Holiday Pops Kid's Matinees
- Puccini's Suor Angelica
- Britten’s Friday Afternoons
- Boys and girls grades 5-9 will be considered for BSCC membership
- All boys must have unchanged treble voices
- There is no cost to being a member of the BSCC
Auditioning for the BSCC
- Auditions for the BSCC last approximately 5 minutes each.
- Auditionees are asked to sing a song which they know well. This can be something with accompaniment (a pianist will be provided), or sung unaccompanied. It should last no longer than 2 minutes, but shorter than that is OK, too. The music should be something the candidate is comfortable singing, and shows his or her voice at its best.
- After singing their song, auditionees will be asked to do some simple ear training tests (pitch matching, etc), vocal range exercises and some simple sight reading.
To be contacted in advance of future audition dates for BSCC, please complete the form LINKED HERE.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.