Tanglewood Festival Chorus - 50th Anniversary
The Tanglewood Festival Chorus (TFC) celebrates its 50th anniversary on April 11, 2020, having made its debut on April 11, 1970 in a BSO performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony under the baton of Maestro Leonard Bernstein.
The TFC’s 50th anniversary will be celebrated from April 2020, across the Tanglewood 2020 season and subsequent 2020-2021 Symphony Hall season, with various performances and engagement opportunities for chorus alumni. Please see offers and events below, including plans for the TFC50 Alumni Weekend, August 21-23, 2020, and a note from Choral Director James Burton.
"The TFC’s 50th birthday is a wonderful moment to celebrate the chorus’ illustrious past, and to share our ongoing mission of singing excellence with our alumni and friends. The current members of the chorus, our administrative team, and I invite you to join us in celebrating this important milestone.”
– James Burton, BSO Choral Director
TFC50 offers for TFC Alumni (live on the website on January 15, 2020):
- Registered TFC Alumni can receive two complimentary lawn passes for the Tanglewood 2020 season, granting lawn access to all BSO/Boston Pops concerts (Popular Artist Series concerts not included).
- Registered TFC alumni can receive 30% off Shed tickets to the following BSO/TFC concerts during Tanglewood 2020:
- Friday, July 10, 2020 – POULENC Gloria
- Saturday, July 11, 2020 – WAGNER Tannhäuser Highlights
- Saturday, August 1, 2020 – SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 3
- Saturday, August 22, 2020 – BERLIOZ Requiem
- Sunday, August 23, 2020- BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 9
- Registered TFC Alumni can receive 30% off Symphony Hall tickets discounts for BSO/TFC performances throughout the 2020-2021 Symphony Hall season, to be announced.
How TFC alumni can access TFC50 offers:
- Registered TFC alumni received an email from the BSO Choral Team confirming the email address they should use to access their bso.org account for TFC50 offers.
- If you did not receive this message, please contact the BSO Choral Team at email@example.com.
- If you have purchased tickets from bso.org with this email address before, please enter your password as normal to access your account.
- If you do not have a password, or have forgotten your password, please select “forgot password” and you will be instructed to create one.
April 11, 2020: Rachmaninoff All-Night Vigil & Burton The Lost Words | Linde Center for Music and Learning, Tanglewood
- Tickets are on-sale for a Tanglewood Learning Institute concert celebrating the TFC’s 50th anniversary. The concert will feature TFC members performing Rachmaninoff’s All-Night Vigil conducted by James Burton at Tanglewood’s new Linde Center for Music and Learning. This performance will take place at 7:30pm on April 11, 2020- the exact 50th anniversary date of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus. Tickets can be purchased at bso.org via THIS LINK. There are no promotions available for this performance.
- At 2pm that same day, April 11, 2020, the Boston Symphony Children’s Choir will perform The Lost Words conducted by James Burton at the Linde Center as part of the afternoon’s TLI Open Forum event Reclaiming Our Connection to Nature. This event features naturalist Kris Scopinich, and is presented in collaboration with Mass Audubon and the Pleasant Valley Sanctuary. Tickets can now be purchased at bso.org via THIS LINK. There are no promotions available for this performance.
April 17, 2020: Selections from Rachmaninoff All-Night Vigil | Symphony Hall, Boston
On April 17, 2020, TFC members will reprise selections from Rachmaninoff’s All-Night Vigil as a post-concert performance at that evening’s Casual Friday concert, in celebration of the 50th anniversary. Concert patrons are invited to enjoy the Casual Friday post-concert reception featuring live music, snacks and a cash bar. Tickets can be purchased at bso.org via THIS LINK. There are no promotions available for this performance.
Please see above regarding Tanglewood 2020 TFC50 Alumni lawn passes and Shed ticket promotions.
- July 10 – July 12, 2020
- Friday, 7/10
- 8pm BSO/TFC POULENC Gloria | Koussevitsky Music Shed
- Saturday, 7/11
- 8pm BSO/TFC WAGNER Tannhäuser Highlights | Koussevitsky Music Shed
- Sunday, 7/12
- 12:30pm Boston Symphony Children’s Choir Sunday Showcase performance | Theater
- July 31 – August 2, 2020
- Friday, 7/31
- 6pm TFC Prelude (repertoire TBD) | Seiji Ozawa Hall
- Saturday, 8/1
- 2pm – 4pm Members of the current TFC will participate in a TFC Voice Class led by Susan Graham as part of the Tanglewood Learning Institute’s MasterPass program. | Linde Center
- 8pm BSO/TFC SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 3 | Koussevitsky Music Shed
- Saturday, 8/2
- 2:30pm BSO/TFC BARBER Prayers of Kierkegaard | Koussevitsky Music Shed
- TFC Alumni Weekend @ Tanglewood August 21 – August 23, 2020
- Friday, 8/21
- 4pm – 6:30pm BRAHMS Geistliches Lied & Fest und Gedenksprüche Op. 109 REQUIRED REHEARSAL FOR ALUMNI PARTICIPANTS* | Tanglewood Theatre
- 8pm Boston Pops Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back performance in celebration of Keith Lockhart’s 25th anniversary | Koussevitsky Music Shed
- Saturday, 8/22
- 9am – 10:30am BRAHMS Geistliches Lied & Fest und Gedenksprüche Op. 109 REQUIRED REHEARSAL FOR ALUMNI PARTICIPANTS*
- 2:30pm – 4pm TFC50 Open Sing of familiar choral favorites | Seiji Ozawa Hall
- Join current and alumni TFC for an afternoon of singing conducted by BSO Choral Director James Burton
- 8pm BSO/TFC Berlioz Requiem w/ current TFC| Koussevitsky Music Shed
- Post-concert TFC50 Party | Hawthorne Tent
- Sunday, 8/23
- 2:30pm BSO/TFC50 Chorus/Current TFC BRAHMS Geistliches Lied & Fest und Gedenksprüche Op. 109; BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 9
- 1pm Call* TFC50 Chorus – current and alumni (BRAHMS singers)
- 1:45pm Call Current TFC (BEETHOVEN singers)
*For TFC Alumni interested to perform in the TFC50 Chorus for BRAHMS Geistliches Lied & Fest und Gedenksprüche Op. 109 on Sunday, 8/23, more detailed information will be forthcoming. Participants will need to arrive at Tanglewood in time for the 4pm rehearsal on Friday, August 21st.
If you have any questions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.