BSO High School Mentorships Program
The BSO High School Mentorships
program is a free program that offers local high school
instrumental music ensembles (grades 9-12) the opportunity to
participate in up to three interactive coaching sessions with a BSO
Taking the form of a sectional coaching or a master class at the school, these high quality instructional sessions allow students and the musician to work together in an environment of mutual respect and mentorship. The program is designed to create meaningful interactive experiences for the students and musician.
The BSO High School Mentorships program is available by application to five high school band or orchestra ensembles to assist music specialists in developing instrumental technique and performance skills among students. The BSO High School Mentorships program pairs BSO Musicians with up to five ensembles each season between January and May to provide coaching sessions in support of the current curriculum.
Schools are asked to submit their specific coaching needs to the BSO by the end of December. The BSO will match need to available resources. No more than one BSO musician will be placed at a school, and schools may not request particular musicians. This program is not intended to include private lessons.
Program Requirements for 2013-2014:
- Participation restricted to schools within a 30 mile radius from Boston.
- Due to the BSO rehearsal schedule, Musician visits are likely restricted to Mondays and Friday mornings. Occasionally, a musician may be available for a session prior to 9:30am Tuesday through Thursday mornings but that schedule availability cannot be guaranteed.
- Repertoire to be coached is required at least two weeks in advance.
- Schools are required to acquire tickets and transportation to a BSO High School Open Rehearsal in the 2013-2014 season.
- Visits must be completed by May
- Application required; schools may reapply each year.
Download an application for participation here.