April 25-30 Rachmaninoff and Shostakovich
Andris Nelsons conducts Rachmaninoff and Shostakovich featuring Daniil Trifonov, piano
Andris Nelsons and the BSO continue their Shostakovich symphony cycle, being recorded live for release on Deutsche Grammophon, with the composer's final work in the genre, No. 15.
Purchase a Pre-Concert Meal Ahead of Time Online!
All orders must be placed 72 hours prior to the performance.
About the Music: Podcasts & Program Notes
Check back for the latest Podcasts!
- Shostakovich's Symphony No. 15 Video Preview by Anthony Princiotti.
- Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 Video Preview by Anthony Princiotti.
- Shostakovich's Symphony No. 15 Video Podcast by Anthony Princiotti.
- Brian Bell spends a minute introducing the program for April 25-30, 2019.
- Audio Concert Preview by Robert Kirzinger.
- BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons speaks with Brian Bell about the Shostakovich Symphony No. 15, being performed on April 25-30, 2019.
Andris Nelsons, conductor
Daniil Trifonov, piano
RACHMANINOFF Piano Concerto No. 3
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 15
Composed in summer 1971 and premiered the following January, the Fifteenth is distinctive in its very surprising quotation from Rossini's William Tell Overture, as well as other musical allusions. The composer's mysterious, introspective late style is evident in the second movement, with its long cello solo. The Russian pianist Daniil Trifonov has won universal acclaim for both his technical brilliance and his expressive intensity. Both qualities are needed in Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3, one of the most enduringly popular concertos in the repertoire, which is powerful, lyrical, and Russian to the core.