February 14-16 Schumann and Bruckner
Andris Nelsons conducts Schumann and Bruckner featuring Yuja Wang, piano
Andris Nelsons and the BSO are joined by the firebrand Chinese pianist Yuja Wang for Schumann's Piano Concerto, a work blending the composer's unique Romantic lyricism and brilliance.
Purchase a Pre-Concert Meal Ahead of Time Online!
All orders must be placed 72 hours prior to the performance.
About the Music: Podcasts & Program Notes
- Schumann Video Promo by Anthony Princiotti.
- Bruckner Video Promo by Anthony Princiotti.
- Brian Bell takes a minute to preview the program for February 14-16, 2019.
- Audio Concert Preview written by Richard Dyer and Marc Mandel.
- BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons talks with Brian Bell about the Bruckner Ninth Symphony, being performed on February 14-16, 2019.
- Video Podcast by Anthony Princiotti.
Andris Nelsons, conductor
Yuja Wang, piano
SCHUMANN Piano Concerto (30 min)
BRUCKNER Symphony No. 9 (59 min)
Andris Nelsons and the BSO are joined by the firebrand Chinese pianist Yuja Wang for Schumann's Piano Concerto, a work blending the composer's unique Romantic lyricism and brilliance. The concerto began as a single-movement Fantasia written for his wife Clara, who was considered one of the great virtuosos of the age. Bruckner's magisterial Symphony No. 9, a work left just short of completion at the composer's death in 1896, shows the continuing influence of Wagner in its harmonic language and scope, with the particular Austrian grace and gift for counterpoint for which Bruckner was known.