APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS PERCUSSION FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
Live Audition: Jan. 21, 2019
Video Audition: Feb. 15, 2019
In most cases live auditions are conducted by a single member of the audition committee and/or TMC staff, and video recorded for review by the full audition committee in Boston. Most auditions are 20 minutes long. Live auditions are self-scheduled by the applicant at www.GetAcceptd.com. Applicants will be directed to do so once an application is submitted. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to secure the best possible audition time for themselves.
2019 LIVE AUDITION SCHEDULE
Boston: Feb. 10 & 12
New York City: Feb. 13
Chicago: Feb. 14
Los Angeles: Feb. 15
VIDEO AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
Those applicants who are unable to audition live must submit a video recording via the online application.
- Video recordings must contain all audition repertoire in the order listed, played in a CONTINUOUS UNEDITED SEGMENT; any indication that there has been editing or that recording equipment was paused/stopped between excerpts will result in the disqualification of the applicant
- All pieces should be played unaccompanied, unless otherwise noted in the audition requirements.
- We strongly recommend you view to your recording all the way through before submitting.
*Sight-reading may be asked on any instrument*
- Snare drum: Delecluse Keiskleiriana Book 1, No. 7
- a four mallet solo that displays contemporary techniques; NOTE: PLEASE PROVIDE COPY OF MUSIC AT THE AUDITION FOR FACULTY TO RETAIN
BARTÓK Concerto for Orchestra, mvt. IV
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 9, mvt. I: mm 513 (18 mm before rhl S) to end; mvt. II: rhl F to rhl H
BRAHMS Symphony No. 1, mvt. IV: mm 375 to the end
MARTIN Concerto for 7 winds, timpani, percussion, and strings; mvt. III: 6 mm after rhl 18 to 7 mm after rhl 22
W. SCHUMAN New England Triptich, mvt. I: opening mm 1-14; mm 122-152
STRAUSS Burleske: mm 1-20
TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No. 4, mvt. I: 2 mm before rhl T to 3 mm before rhl U
GERSHWIN An American in Paris: rhl 4-7 (condense rests to 8 bars); rhl 20-21
KODÁLY Háry János: mvt. VI
MESSIAEN Exotic Birds: rhl 6-7; rhl 16 to 5 mm before rhl 18; rhl 26-28
W. SCHUMAN Symphony No. 3, mvt. IV: mm 230-244
SHOSTAKOVICH Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk: 2 mm before rhl 114 to 5 mm after rhl 127
DEBUSSY La Mer, mvt. II: rhl 16-19
DUKAS The Sorcerer's Apprentice: 4 mm after rhl 17 to 4 mm after rhl 19; rhl 22- 24
RESPIGHI Pines of Rome, mvt. I: beginning through 8 mm after rhl 4; rhl 7 through end of mvt.
NIELSEN Clarinet Concerto: rhl 3 to rhl 4; rhl 29 to 9 mm after rhl 32
PROKOFIEV Lt. Kije Suite, mvt. I: rhl 1-rhl 2
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade, mvt. III: rhl D to rhl E; mvt. IV: 4 mm before rhl N to rhl O; rhl P-R
W. SCHUMAN Symphony No. 3, Toccata: mm 143-165
SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 11, mvt. IV: 5 mm before rhl 134 to rhl 138