The Boston Symphony Orchestra invites applicants to audition for the Tanglewood Festival Chorus. BSO Choral Director and Tanglewood Festival Chorus Conductor James Burton will be hearing new member auditions on Wednesday, March 7th 2018 from 4 to 10pm.
Interested candidates are invited to complete an online application and submit an mp3 recording (see below). Please note, there are limited audition slots available, and selected candidates will be notified by no later than Wednesday, February 28th to confirm an audition time at Symphony Hall. Candidates who are not selected will be contacted in advance of future audition dates, as well as notified of any openings in our schedule on March 7th.
For more information about the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, please click here.
Requesting an Audition
- Please complete the application linked here by Monday, February 26th.
- Please send an .mp3 recording of yourself singing a classical
piece of your choosing to email@example.com by Monday,
February 26th with the following
- The recording should last no longer than 3 minutes.
- It may be a cappella or accompanied.
- It may be in any language.
- Please sing straight through the piece. No post production editing should be used on the recording - a recording on a smart phone is acceptable.
- Please label your .mp3 "Last Name_ First Name _ Spring 2018" and use the subject line "Spring 2018 TFC Audition" when submitting via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit by no later than Monday, February 26th to email@example.com.
March 7th Audition Details
In person auditions will take place at Boston Symphony Hall on March 7th from 4 to 10pm. If you are offered an audition time, more information regarding building access, etc. will be sent via email with your confirmed time by no later than Wednesday, February 28th. Each audition will last approximately 15 minutes.
- Please prepare a piece of your own choosing which best shows off your vocal talents, your vocal range and your musicality. This song should last no more than 3 minutes. This can be sung in any language you wish. It will be accompanied by our pianist and need not be memorized. In addition to the copy you are using, please bring an additional two copies of the music for the panel. You may sing the same piece you submitted for your .mp3 recording.
- Please choose a simple song which we will hear you sing unaccompanied and from memory. This can be a folk song, hymn or a simple melody. It should be sung in English and last no more than 90 seconds.
- You will be asked to do ear training tests, vocal range exercises and sight reading. An example sight reading exercise is provided here.
For questions about TFC auditions and membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.