How We Collect and Use Information
We may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide. When you sign up for some of our products, we ask you for personal information. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other BSO services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- Log information. When you access BSO services via a browser, application or other client our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account.
- User communications. When you send email or other communications to BSO, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services. When you send and receive SMS messages to or from one of our services that provides SMS functionality, we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages, such as the phone number, the wireless carrier associated with the phone number, the content of the message, and the date and time of the transaction. We may use your email address to communicate with you about our services.
- Location data. BSO offers location-enabled services, sometimes part of another application. If you use those services, BSO may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID).
- Unique application number. Certain services include a unique application number that is not associated with your account or you. This number and information about your installation (e.g., operating system type, version number) may be sent to BSO when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers (for example, to request automatic updates to the software).
- Mailing Lists. If you provide your e-mail address, BSO may periodically contact you with special offers, updated information, and new services. Any e-mails sent to you by the BSO offer you the option to be removed from the e-mail mailing list. Selected applications on our web site allow visitors to subscribe to our newsletter by providing their names and addresses to BSO. If you provide the BSO with your mailing address or telephone number, BSO, in addition to providing you with the BSO newsletter, may also use this information to alert you to updated information and new services. If you wish to be removed from the mailing list, you may do so by contacting the BSO directly. (See the 'Contact Us' section below).
In addition to the above, we may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, protect, and improve our services (including advertising services) and develop new services; and
- Protect the rights or property of BSO or our users.
If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
How We Share Your Personal Information
BSO may share your personal information with other entities, including the 3P, publishing partners and cause organizations who use BSO’s services. These entities may use your personal information to help fulfill your requests in connection with the Services and to help communicate with you about different resources offered as part of the Services. Also, our parent, subsidiary and affiliate companies, or entities to which any of our assets, products, sites or operations may be transferred, will be able to use your personal information.
BSO may also share your personal information with certain third-party service providers, such as contractors, agents or sponsors, who help us manage or provide our products and Services by, for example: developing or supporting products and features; sending email messages or direct mailings on our behalf; fulfilling orders; delivering subscriptions; auditing; processing data or statistics; and serving, customizing or delivering marketing. These outside service providers are required to protect personal information entrusted to them and not use it for any other purpose than the specific service they are providing to us.
On occasion, BSO may share your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes. If you would rather us not share your personal information with any third party for direct marketing purposes, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any other direct marketing from BSO, including direct mail, please either (1) do not submit personal information to BSO through the 3P Apps or (2) indicate your desire for us not to share your personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes or to discontinue one or more direct marketing activities by submitting such a request in writing (an “Opt-Out Request”) to us at: The Boston Symphony Orchestra Inc., 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 Attn: Customer Service, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we receive your Opt-Out Request after having shared your personal information with a third party, BSO may not be able to control use of such personal information by such third party (or any other party to whom such third party may have transferred your personal information). In such an event you agree that BSO shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for damages or loss caused or alleged to be caused in connection with the use of such personal information by any such third party or resulting from any such transfer or disposition. If you are concerned about BSO sharing your personal information with third parties or otherwise transferring or disposing your personal information, you should not provide your personal information to BSO.
We may also release your personal information to third parties if we believe such release is necessary (i) to comply with the law (e.g., a legal process or a statutory authorization), (ii) to apply or enforce our user agreements, (iii) to protect our rights or property, (iv) as part of a corporate reorganization, consolidation, merger, or sale of substantially all of the assets of BSO, or (v) if we reasonably believe that a danger to any person requires disclosure of such personal information.
Links to Other Sites
Please note that, while using the Services, you could be directed to other sites that are developed and administered by people or companies not affiliated with or controlled by BSO. These other sites may place their own cookies on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
BSO uses reasonable efforts to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction. However, we cannot guarantee that your personal information will be absolutely protected. For example, your personal information may be affected by actions outside of our control, such as computer "hacking" and physical theft. You acknowledge that you provide your personal information at your own risk.
BSO understands that children's privacy is important. BSO Services are not intended for use by children under 18 years old without the consent of a parent or guardian over the age of 18, and we do not intend to collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.
Notice to UK and EU Residents
- Your personal data is primarily used to provide you with the BSO products and services you request. It may also be used to comply with legal obligations we are subject to or to fulfill our legitimate interests, such as to personalize your experience, develop and improve our services or to detect illegal activities. With your prior consent, it may also be used to send you offers and promotions.
- You have a number of rights including the right to request access to, change, or remove your personal data, or to change your marketing preferences (including withdrawing your consent at any time).
- You have a right to lodge a complaint with our Customer Service representative.
Last Updated: July 26, 2023