- Monday, July 18: Applications Open
- Friday, August 5 at 11:59pm: Deadline to submit both
- Online Application Form
- Audio/video Recording (details below)
- Wednesday, August 10: Notification of invitation to in-person audition
- Wednesday, August 17: In-person audition at Symphony Hall
Audio/Video Recording details:
Please record yourself singing a classical piece of your choosing which best shows off your vocal talents, your vocal range and your musicality. The piece should fit one of the following categories: art song, opera aria, solo aria from an oratorio or classical piece, or an extract from a choral work in which your voice part is prominent or frequently used. (Given that the chorus mainly performs classical repertory, please note that songs from the American Songbook, folk songs, or Musical Theatre numbers are not permitted for this audition. If you are unsure about your choice, please email to ask for advice.)
- The piece should be sung in any one of the following languages: English, French, German, Italian or Latin.
- The recording (either audio or video) should last around 3 minutes.
- It may be a cappella or accompanied.
- Please sing straight through the piece. No postproduction editing (including modifying the reverberation) should be used on the recording. A recording on a smart phone is acceptable.
- Please label your recording "Last Name_First Name_August2022" and use the subject line "August 2022 TFC Audition" when submitting to email@example.com.
- Please submit by no later than 11:59pm Friday, August 5, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates selected for an in-person audition will be notified following submission to confirm an audition time at Symphony Hall. Candidates are asked to comply with the BSO’s safety protocols, which for chorus candidates includes a requirement to be up-to-date on COVID vaccinations (which means fully vaccinated plus eligible boosters). Please note that filling out the application form does not guarantee an in-person audition, as there is a limited number of audition slots.
The in-person audition will last approximately 10 minutes, and consist of:
- A prepared excerpt - Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (b. 86-153) from Brahms’ Ein Deutsches Requiem, movement IV.
- The excerpt should be prepared to be sung in German. An audio pronunciation guide will provided, along with a PDF of the vocal score.
- Sight reading and aural tests.
- Vocal exercises.
Singers accepted as new members will be invited to participate in the upcoming 2022-2023 Symphony season. Rehearsals begin in September with performances scheduled for:
- October 6-8: Bernstein Chichester Psalms and Shostakovich Symphony No. 3
- December 2022: Holiday Pops
- February 2 and 4: Wagner Tannhaüser
- March 3-5: Caine Passion of Octavius Catto
- March 23-25: Stravinsky Perséphone
- May 4-6: Shostakovich Symphony No. 13
If you are interested in auditioning for the chorus but can’t make it this time around, please email us at email@example.com and you will be notified when applications are open again.