The Boston Symphony Orchestra invites applicants to audition for the Tanglewood Festival Chorus.
BSO Choral Director and Tanglewood Festival Chorus Conductor James Burton will be hearing in-person new member auditions on Tuesday, October 26 and Wednesday, October 27.
The application deadline for new members is 11:59pm on Friday, October 22.
The application consists of two components:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit an audio or video recording.
- The recording should last no longer than 3 minutes.
- It may be a cappella or accompanied.
- It may be in any language.
- Please sing straight through the piece. No post production editing (including modifying the reverberation) should be used on the recording. A recording on a smart phone is acceptable.
- lease label your recording "Last Name_First Name_October2021" and use the subject line "October 2021 TFC Audition" when submitting to email@example.com.
- Please submit by no later than 11:59pm Friday, October 22 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected candidates will be notified following submission to confirm an audition time at Symphony Hall. Candidates are asked to comply with the BSO’s safety protocols. Please visit bso.org/safety for more information. Please note that filling out the application form does not guarantee an audition, as there are a limited number of audition slots.
The in-person audition will last approximately 10 minutes, and consist of:
- A prepared excerpt — Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (b. 86-153) from Brahms’ Ein Deutsches Requiem. The excerpt should be prepared in German; an audio pronunciation guide will provided.
- Sight reading and aural tests.
- Vocal exercises.
Singers accepted as new members will participate in the upcoming Holiday Pops season. All TFC members will be asked to attend in total:
One of the following
- Tuesday, November 2, 7-9.30pm
- Saturday, November 6, 2.30-5pm
Optional Online Zoom Rehearsals
- Monday, November 8
- 7-8pm, Soprano & Alto
- 8:15-9:15pm, Tenor & Bass
- Wednesday, November 10
- 7-8pm, Tenor & Bass
- 8:15-9:15pm, Soprano & Alto
One of the following
- Tuesday, November 16, 7-9.30pm
- Saturday, November 20, 2.30-5pm
- Monday, November 29, 7-9.30pm
Singers accepted in 2022 will have the opportunity to participate in performances of Janáček’s Glagolitic Mass (February 2 – 5) and Britten’s War Requiem (March 31 – April 2).
Future Auditions: The next round of new member auditions will be held in early 2022.