The Boston Symphony Orchestra invites applicants to audition for the Tanglewood Festival Chorus. BSO Choral Director and Tanglewood Festival Chorus Conductor James Burton will be hearing new member auditions on Monday, November 6th 2017 from 4 to 10pm.
Interested candidates are invited to complete an online application and submit an mp3 recording (see below). Please note, there are limited audition slots available, and selected candidates will be notified by no later than Monday, October 30th to confirm an audition time at Symphony Hall. Candidates who are not selected will be contacted in advance of future audition dates, as well as notified of any openings in our schedule on November 6th.
For more information on the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, please click here.
- Please complete the application linked here by Sunday, October 29th.
- Please send an .mp3 recording of yourself singing a classical piece of your choosing to email@example.com by Sunday, October 29th with the following specifications:
- The recording should last no longer than 3 minutes.
- It may be a cappella or accompanied.
- It may be in any language.
- Please sing straight through the piece. No post production editing should be used on the recording - a recording on a smart phone is acceptable.
- Please label your .mp3 "Last Name_ First Name _ Fall 2017" and use the subject line "Fall 2017 TFC Audition" when submitting via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit by no later than Sunday, October 29th to email@example.com.
November 6th Audition Details:
In person auditions will take place at Boston Symphony Hall on November 6th from 4 to 10pm. If you are offered an audition time, more information regarding building access, etc. will be sent via email with your confirmed time by no later than Monday, October 30th. Each audition will last approximately 15 minutes.
- Please prepare a piece of your own choosing which best shows off your vocal talents, your vocal range and your musicality. This song should last no more than 3 minutes. This can be sung in any language you wish. It will be accompanied by our pianist and need not be memorized. In addition to the copy you are using, please bring an additional two copies of the music for the panel. You may sing the same piece you submitted for your .mp3 recording.
- Please choose a simple song which we will hear you sing unaccompanied and from memory. This can be a folk song, hymn or a simple melody. It should be sung in English and last no more than 90 seconds.
- You will be asked to do ear training tests, vocal range exercises and sight reading. An example sight reading exercise is provided here.
For questions about TFC auditions and membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.