Part Time and Temporary
Part Time, internships,
and Temporary Positions Located at
Symphony Hall in Boston, MA
The Boston Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Sales Associate Part-Time
Responsible for operating point-of-sale terminals and handling all retail transactions accurately and efficiently.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure is a must!
- Must be able to stand for several hours.
- Excellent customer service skills and a willingness to obtain knowledge of the inventory.
- Required to assist customers on the retail floor and help with merchandising projects as needed.
High School or Equivalent. 1-2 Years Retail Cashier experience a plus. Must be able to lift minimum 50 pounds. Background check is mandatory. Knowledge of classical music helpful.
Accounts Payable Assistant Part-Time
The Boston Symphony Orchestra is committed to bringing world class music and performances to the local and international communities. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes. We currently have an opening in our Accounting department for a part time Accounts Payable Assistant to work 20 hours per week. In this role, you will work with a variety of staff to ensure the timely processing of an array of different types of invoices and payments. Bring your attention to detail, efficiency and organizational skills while working for a non-profit arts organization.
- Process high volumes of invoices for weekly check runs. Ensure accuracy in the sorting, batching, and entering invoices. Research any missing information on invoices. Print check and ensure any detailed back-up is attached for the signatory.
- Perform weekly department filing.
- Process and enter wires, ACHs and Pcard invoices.
- Review vendor statements to determine outstanding payments due and notify departments regarding missing invoices.
- Monthly preparation of void check listing.
- Research and respond to questions from vendors and BSO employees.
- Must have the ability to perform additional responsibilities to maintain ongoing functioning of the A/P department when the department is short-staffed.
Experience with Microsoft Office including strong skills in Excel and Word. Strong attention to detail, customer service focus and interpersonal skills. Ability to deal with all levels of individuals. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL software is a plus but not required.
Boston Symphony Orchestra Collegiate Ambassador program is a series
of paid opportunities aimed primarily at Boston-area college
students to provide logistical support and assistance to the BSO's
Education and Community Engagement Department in the administration
and execution of a variety of its programs over the course of the
2016-2017 concert season. Typical responsibilities include
providing general support as needed for Education and Community
Engagement programs held at Symphony Hall or offsite (with a focus
on BSO Youth Concerts and Community Chamber Concerts); participants
will be compensated at an hourly rate and with a small travel
stipend (as applicable).
Collegiate Ambassadors will:
- Provide support to BSO staff at select Education & Community Engagement Programs, especially the Community Chamber Concerts and Youth Concerts series
- Receive compensation based upon an hourly rate (and any necessary travel needs)
- Receive job-readiness experience throughout the year
Participants must be enrolled in a Boston-area college. Students with access to transportation are encouraged to apply (for off-site program needs), and should be willing to carpool to and from events with other students in the program as needed. Participants must attend the October 2 Orientation session at Symphony Hall.
September 23 - Application deadline
September 30 - Orientation session at Symphony Hall, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
2016-2017 Education & Community Engagement Activities include (but are not limited to) the following:
October 09, 2016 - Community Chamber Concert (Methuen, MA)
October 23, 2016 - Community Chamber Concert (Arlington, MA)
October 29, 2016 - BSYO Family Concert, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
October 30, 2016 - BSO Concerts For Very Young People (Boston, MA)
November 06, 2016 - Community Chamber Concert (Somerville, MA)
January 11, 2017 - Onstage at Symphony, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
January 13, 2017 - Onstage at Symphony, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
January 14, 2017 - Onstage at Symphony, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
February 05, 2017 - Community Chamber Concert (Salem, MA)
February 12, 2017 - Community Chamber Concert (Boston, MA)
March 12, 2017 - BSO Concerts For Very Young People (Boston, MA)
March 19, 2017 - Community Chamber Concert (Framingham, MA)
March 26, 2017 - Community Chamber Concert (Roxbury, MA)
April 2, 2017 - Community Chamber Concert (Dedham, MA)
April 5, 2017 - BSO Youth Concerts, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
April 6, 2017 - BSO Youth Concerts, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
April 7, 2017 - BSO Youth Concerts, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
April 8, 2017 - BSO Family Concert, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
April 29, 2017 - BYSO Family Concert, Symphony Hall (Boston, MA)
Box Office-Symphony Charge Representative - Part-Time
- Sell concert tickets at the BSO box office, or SymphonyCharge, to all concerts taking place at Symphony Hall and Tanglewood. This includes concerts presented by the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Boston Pops as well as concerts presented by independent promoters.
- Answer questions and assist subscribers with the purchase of subscriptions at the box office window.
- Accurately enter customer address and billing information into the Boston Symphony Orchestra database for use in tracking orders and in marketing efforts.
- Process ticket exchanges for patrons who are unable to attend a concert that is part of their subscription series: find replacement tickets for the customer, and ensure that the patron is aware of all exchange policies and how they may effect the transaction.
- Answer questions regarding performance content and ticket policies. Provide patrons with policy information for Symphony Hall and Tanglewood. Provide customers with policy information regarding outside concerts presented by independent promoters at Symphony Hall.
- Answer the Re-sale ticket line and post re-sales to Tessitura.
- Close out window at end of day and balance cash drawer.
Qualifications: Six months experience in call center/customer-related work environment, preferably in a team environment, flexibility regarding job functions and scheduling. Skills: Basic typing skills and familiarity with personal computers. Excellent problem solving and communication skills, the ability to work effectively in a fast paced diverse team environment, professional telephone manner. Part-time 20-25 hours per week. Some evenings and weekends required.
Customer Service Representative- Part Time
Qualifications: Telefundraising and sales experience is a plus but a willingness to enthusiastically make the case for all three BSO brands is required as well as, at least, a general knowledge of the 18th - 21st century symphony orchestra repetoire. Candidates must also work a minimum of 18 hours per week. Scheduling is flexible but you must be able to work a minimum of 3-4 weekday evenings. An excellent phone manner is essential. Good typing skills and being comfortable in the Windows software environment is necessary.
Usher - Part-Time
We are in the process of recruiting USHERS for the upcoming Boston Symphony Orchestra season. If you would like to join our Patron Services Team, and are:
- At least 18 years old
- Available for a minimum of 3 concerts/week
- Reliable and dependable
- Thrive working in a fast-paced environment
- Available Thursday, Friday mornings and weekends
Apply online or stop by the STAGE DOOR entrance of Symphony Hall (corner of St. Stephen St. & Mass. Ave.) to pick up an application. Send completed application and resume to the following address or drop it off at the Stage Door during normal business hours. .
The Boston Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer