The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular is held at the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Hatch Memorial Shell on the Charles River Esplanade. Please visit them at mass.gov/dcr or on twitter @MassDCR.
The Hatch Memorial Shell
47 David G. Mugar Way
Boston, MA 02108
Listed below are the pedestrian, parking and traffic restrictions that will be in place for 2023 Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular. All roadways will remain closed (unless noted otherwise) until the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) can clean the roadways and remove event and production assets.
These closures will be updated as needed.
Sunday, July 2
Starting at 12am:
The Lynch Family Skate Park parking area will be closed.
Starting at 7am:
- Right hand travel lane of Storrow Dr closed (for delivery drop off and production purposes)
- Esplanade walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians and bicyclists from the area of Community Boating to the Fiedler Footbridge. All pedestrians and bicyclists will be directed to the Paul Dudley White multiuse path adjacent to Storrow Dr until approximately 3pm, July 3.
- NO parking on Mugar Way from Arlington Street to Charles Street until 6:00 a.m. on July 5th. All vehicles remaining will be removed.
- Mugar Way will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic until 1:00 p.m.
Starting at 11am:
- Memorial Drive will be closed from Western Ave to Gerry’s Landing for Riverbend Park.
Starting at 7pm:
- Memorial Drive will reopen from Western Ave to Gerry’s Landing.
Monday, July 3
Starting at 9am (Or At A Time To Be Determined By The Incident Commander):
- The right travel lane on Storrow Drive westbound will be closed from the Longfellow Bridge to the Fielder Footbridge for permitted bus parking. Traffic will continue westbound on Storrow Drive.
- There will be no public parking along Storrow Drive for either the rehearsals or the concert.
Starting at 3pm (Or At A Time To Be Determined By The Incident Commander):
- Storrow Drive westbound will be closed to vehicular traffic from Charles Circle to the Bowker Overpass. All Storrow Drive westbound traffic will be diverted to Charles Circle. Storrow Drive westbound traffic may re-enter Storrow Drive via Charles Street to Beacon Street via the westbound entrance at the Bowker Overpass.
- The exit to Arlington Street from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound) will be closed until 6:00 a.m. July 5th.
- Mugar Way at Beacon Street closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. This will remain closed until the early morning hours of July 5th. Pedestrians will be directed to Berkeley Street for entrance to the Esplanade.
- Berkeley Street at Beacon Street closed to vehicular traffic.
- Storrow Drive eastbound will be closed and detoured at the Bowker Overpass. It will remain closed until July 5.
Monday, July 4
Starting at 9am:
- No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) from #450 Massachusetts Avenue to the Longfellow Bridge. All vehicles remaining after this time will be removed.
- No parking on Cambridge Parkway.
- Access to Storrow Drive westbound from Leverett Circle to Kenmore Square (Bowker Overpass) will be closed to traffic.
- The inbound bus (right-side) lane on Charles River Dam Road will close from Museum Way to Leverett Circle.
- The Storrow Drive exit ramp in the Tip O’Neil Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
- The Leverett Circle entrance to Storrow Drive westbound will be closed. Traffic will be allowed to travel on Msgr. O’Brien Highway to Cambridge and Martha Road to Boston.
- The following Storrow Drive on and off ramp closures will remain in effect from July 3rd:
- Berkeley Street
- Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound)
- Overpass from Park Drive and the Fenway
- Charles Street Circle (heading westbound)
- No Parking at Magazine Beach and Magazine Pool, Riverside Boat Club, and the MWRA pumping station (Cottage Farm). No boat launching in this area.
- Fanny Appleton pedestrian footbridge at Charles Circle going to the Esplanade is closed.
- Fiedler Footbridge from Beacon Street going to the Esplanade is closed.
- The Longfellow Bridge and Mass Ave (Harvard) Bridge stairs will be closed.
- No access to Storrow Drive westbound from the Kenmore Square (Bowker Overpass).
- No access to Storrow Drive westbound from the Beacon Street on-ramp under the Bowker Overpass.
- Storrow Drive eastbound will be detoured at University Avenue.
Starting at 4pm:
- Memorial Drive closed to vehicular traffic in both directions from Massachusetts Avenue to the Longfellow Bridge.
- Main Street, Cambridge from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic.
- Ames Street from Main Street to Memorial Drive, Cambridge, closed to vehicular traffic.
- Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed to vehicular traffic.
- Land Boulevard from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic.
- Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed to vehicular traffic.
- Access allowed to 1 Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
- Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic. Bikes and pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge.
- The Longfellow Bridge will be closed to bikes and pedestrian traffic from approximately 9:00 p.m. until the end of the fireworks. NO fireworks viewing from the Longfellow Bridge will be allowed.
- Massachusetts Avenue (Harvard) Bridge closed in both directions to vehicular traffic from Beacon Street in Boston to Vassar Street in Cambridge. Bikes and pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge.
- The Massachusetts Ave (Harvard) Bridge will be closed to bikes and pedestrian traffic from approximately 9:00 p.m. until the end of the fireworks. NO fireworks viewing from the Massachusetts Ave (Harvard) Bridge will be allowed.
- Memorial Drive from Massachusetts Avenue to the BU Bridge closed to vehicular traffic. Vehicular access will be allowed for patrons going to the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Hyatt patrons will be directed to the Vassar Street road closure.
- Vassar Street in Cambridge from Massachusetts Avenue to Memorial Drive closed to vehicular traffic. Access will be allowed for residents and Hyatt patrons.
- Cambridge Parkway closed to vehicular traffic (except: it will remain open to vehicles with handicapped placards/plates only). All vehicles must be removed from Cambridge Parkway by 1:00 a.m. on July 5th.
At approximately 10:30 pm:
- The Craigie Bridge by the Museum of Science will be down from approximately 10:30p.m. on July 4th until 1:00 a.m. on July 5th to allow uninterrupted motor vehicle traffic.
- Smaller boats that can pass under the bridge while in the down position will be allowed to pass.
All closures are subject to change at the discretion of the Incident Commander.
- Clean-up begins 30 minutes after the fireworks display has concluded.
- All roadways will remain closed until clean-up and labor crews are safely removed.
Viewing of fireworks display from I-93 is prohibited and dangerous. There will be troopers assigned (Troop H / H9, SP Tunnels) to this area to strictly enforce “No Stopping.”