BSO Concerto Competition
Since 1959, the BSO has hosted a Concerto Competition for high school instrumentalists who are at an advanced level in their musical study.
The Boston Symphony Orchestra is pleased to announce the Concerto Competition for High School Students for the 2020 season. The competition is open to all advanced high school instrumentalists in Massachusetts from grades 10 to 12 (piano, strings, winds, percussion, and brass) and is administered in two rounds.
- PRELIMINARY AUDITION ROUND: All applicants should fill out and submit the online application form by Tuesday, January 21, 2020, as well as submit the $30.00 registration fee.
- FINAL AUDITION ROUND: Applicants selected by a panel of BSO judges will be invited to Symphony Hall for the live final audition round on Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
The First Place Winner: The Cornelius A. & Muriel P. Wood Award includes a cash prize of $1,000 and a performance at a BSO Youth & Family Concert during the week of March 9th, 2020 (Performance date and time to be confirmed after winner is selected)
Second Place Winner will receive a cash award of $650.
Third Place Winner will receive a cash award of $450.
Preliminary Round Application Checklist:
To be submitted via the online application form by Tuesday, January 21st, 2020:
- List of Repertoire
- An audio/video recording of you performing a piece that can be accompanied by an orchestra or a movement from a concerto. (Not to exceed 10 mins)
- Letter of Intent: 2-3 sentence statement about your intent to enter the competition and verifying that you’re a Massachusetts resident with your parent/guardian and instructor's signatures.
- Registration fee - A $30.00 check made payable to Boston Symphony Orchestra and mailed to the following address:
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Education Dept./Concerto Competition
301 Massachusetts Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
After submitting your application materials, you will be notified the first week of February whether you have qualified for the Finals Round on Tuesday, February 25th.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach us at (617) 638 - 9375 or firstname.lastname@example.org.