Conducting Program Application Instructions
Applications for the 2020 Conducting Program are closed. Please check back in September of 2020 for information about our 2021 program.
All applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center must submit an application, including a $75 application fee, via getacceptd.com/tanglewood.
Applicants to the TMC Conducting Program should be at least 18 years old.
As part of completing the online application, conducting applicants will be required to submit:
- A current resume
- One letter of recommendation, to be submitted via GetAcceptd.com
- A list of repertoire conducted in public (including ensemble, location, and date)
- A list of repertoire studied
- Video samples (see requirements below)
Video Sample Instructions and Requirements:
Video samples should demonstrate the applicant's best conducting. No specific repertoire is required, but your samples should comprise at least two contrasting selections and be recent, preferably from within the last year. (Repeat applicants are strongly encouraged to offer material different from that which they have previously submitted.)
You must upload a minimum of FOUR video samples:
- A minimum of TWO samples of footage of the applicant conducting an ensemble/orchestra in concert, from a minimum two different concerts, preferably with two different ensembles.
- Footage of the applicant working with an ensemble/orchestra in rehearsal
- A segment of no more than five minutes in which the applicant introduces himself or herself, and briefly discusses his or her training, musical interests or viewpoints, areas of the repertoire that hold a particular fascination, rehearsal techniques, and what he or she would hope to gain from a summer at Tanglewood (if the applicant prefers, this may be presented in an interview-style format, with the aid of another individual)
Each sample and any additional samples should be uploaded as a separate video file and together should total no more than 30 minutes in length. It is preferred that videos be made with a full orchestra, but a mixed ensemble of about 15 musicians is acceptable. The video footage should focus on the conductor, not the ensemble.
The committee will make invitations based on videos and supporting materials as submitted. A live audition round is not planned at this time.
Fellows must be available for the entire duration of the 2020 TMC residency: June 18, 2020 through August 17, 2020.
Online application must be completed by November 15, 2019 at 11:59PM EST.