Applications for the Vocal Arts Program are now closed.
- Online application must be completed by October 25, 2023 at 11:59PM Eastern.
- All applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center must submit an application, including a $75 application fee, via getacceptd.com/tanglewood.
- Applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center Vocal Arts Program must be between 20 and 35 years old as of June 20, 2024.
- Fellows must be available for the entire duration of the 2024 TMC residency: June 21 through August 20.
As part of completing the application, singers will be required to submit:
Audio Recordings, live and unedited, consisting of ONLY the following two selections, which must be in contrasting styles:
- An art song (performed with piano)
- An aria (performed with piano or orchestra)
Supporting Materials, consisting of the following:
- Current resume
- A letter of recommendation from a professional musician other than one's current teacher. The recommender’s email should be submitted along with your GetAcceptd application, which will automatically send a request to them to submit the recommendation.
- A complete repertoire list (not generalized or representative) that includes all works studied, indicating with an asterisk those works performed in public. Selections within each section must be alphabetized by the surname of the composer.
- Audio recording details, indicating titles and composers of the works performed, and date and circumstances of performance (studio recording, live performance recording, name of collaborator or collaborating ensemble if appropriate, etc.)
Results of the preliminary round will be emailed to applicants by November 3, 2023. Applicants who advance to the second round of auditions will be sent instructions to either schedule a live audition or submit a video audition, based on their preference.
For the second round, candidates should present a total of FIVE selections:
- Three art songs in three different languages
- Two arias in two different languages
- At least one aria and one art song must be in English
- At least one selection must be a contemporary work
Live Audition Information
Live Audition Tour Dates:
- Nov. 13: Chicago
- Nov. 15, 16, and 17: New York City
- Nov. 18: Boston
Required Supporting Materials:
- An updated resume
- A typed list of the five selections presented
Vocalists must have the required repertoire and supporting materials prepared for the audition. The audition panel reserves the right to refuse to hear an audition if all conditions are not met; no refunds will be given. A pianist is provided at the audition, although you may bring their own if you wish.
Video Audition Information
- Recordings must contain all audition repertoire.
- Recordings must be played in one continuous, unedited segment.
- Video must be from a single video camera, with the same shot for the entire video.
- Your full body must be in the shot for video.
- Any indication that there has been editing or that recording equipment was paused/stopped between excerpts will result in the disqualification of the applicant.
- All pieces should be sung with accompanist where applicable.
Video Audition Tips
- We strongly recommend you view your recording all the way through before submitting it.
- Record in a quiet space with no background noise present. If you're at home, make sure you're away from noisy appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners.
- Ensure your microphone is not too close to you.
- Note that the sole purpose of the video is to ensure that you are legitimately performing in your audition, and that it is in one continuous segment. If you must choose between recording with amazing audio and amazing video, choose amazing audio.