The design and framework of the seating of Symphony Hall has not changed since the hall opened in 1900. The original chairs had a wooden base that were cushioned with horse hair, covered with leather, trimmed with leather gimp, secured with brass tacks, and identified with brass numbers and letters. With time, each chair needs repair, and with time, compliance codes change. The seats are no longer covered in leather, but with fire retardant material, and cushioned with a synthetic material. The brass numbers and letters are slowly being replaced with aluminum ones. In this exhibit, an example of the original construction of a Symphony Hall seat is displayed.