Vocal Program Application Instructions
DEADLINE: October 21, 2019
All applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center must submit an application, including a $75 application fee, via getacceptd.com/tanglewood.
Applicants to the Tanglewood Music Center Vocal Arts Program must be between 20 and 35 years old as of June 1, 2020.
As part of completing the application, singers will be required to submit:
- Audio recordings, live and unedited, consisting of ONLY the following two selections, which must be in contrasting styles:
- An art song (performed with piano)
- An aria (performed with piano or orchestra)
- Supporting Materials, consisting of the following:
- Current résumé
- A letter of recommendation from a professional musician other than one’s current teacher, to be submitted via GetAcceptd.com
- Fully detailed and complete repertoire list (not a generalized or representative one) that includes all works studied, indicating with an asterisk those works performed in public. Selections within each section must be alphabetized by the surname of the composer.
- Audio recording details, indicating titles and composers of the works performed, and date and circumstances of performance (studio recording, live performance recording, name of collaborator or collaborating ensemble if appropriate, etc.)
Results of the preliminary round will be emailed to applicants by October 31, 2019. Based on the recommendations of our faculty, live auditions will be scheduled for qualified applicants. The applicant will indicate preferred audition dates, times, and locations on his or her initial application. If invited to the live round, the TMC will contact you via email to schedule your audition as soon as possible.
Live Audition Dates and Locations:
November 16, 2019: Los Angeles
November 18, 2019: Chicago
November 19, 2019: Cincinnati
November 20, 21, & 22, 2019: New York City
November 23, 2019: Boston
Live Audition Repertoire & Requirements:
Vocalists singing in the live round should present a total of FIVE selections: art songs in three different languages and two arias in two different languages; at least one aria and one art song must be in English. A contemporary work is required as one of the selections. A pianist is provided at the audition, although singers may bring their own if they wish.
Required Supporting Materials at Live Auditions:
- An updated résumé
- A typed list of the five selections presented
Vocalists must have the required repertoire and supporting materials prepared for the audition. The audition panel reserves the right to refuse to hear an audition if all of these conditions are not met; no refunds will be given.
Fellows must be available for the entire duration of the 2020 TMC residency: June 18, 2020 through August 17, 2020.
Online application must be completed by October 21, 2019 at 11:59PM EST.